Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Short and Sweet.

A coworker reminded me about the annual walk that Compassionate Friends has.

This year it is in Minneapolis.  I really want to go but I don't think that I'll be able to make it.

So, if any old pals for MN want to go to this, that would be fantastic.

But, if not, I entered Maggie's name in it.  Someone will walk with her name on.  

To remember her.


A great cause in a great city (that I miss terribly) for a great daughter (whom I miss even more terribly).


*****************************************
Also, I just finished reading a great book called Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda.




I highly recommend it.  


Read the snippets and reviews of it here.


Three parts of the book that I loved or could identify with:


Soon after a miscarriage:

"She closes her eyes and touches her lower belly, as she does countless times a day, but this gesture, which usually brings her some comfort, now feels like a punishment."

In the hospital:
“I don’t want to feel better.” She turns away from the nurse.  They don’t understand it’s not just the baby she lost. It’s everything.  The names she runs through as she lies in bed at night.  The paint samples for the nursery she’s collected in her desk drawer.  The dreams of cradling her child in her arms, helping with homework, cheering on the sidelines of the soccer field.  All of it, gone, disappeared into the thick fog outside.  They don’t understand that.  Not the nurse, not Dr. Hayworth, not even Krishnan."

At a baby shower:
"She can’t watch everyone oohing and ahhing over each darling little outfit.  She can't listen to the women discussing stretch marks and labor pains as rites of passage.  Everyone acts as if being a woman and a mother are inextricably intertwined.  A fair assumption, since she made it herself.  Only now does she know it’s an enormous lie."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...