Monday, May 30, 2011

All the things I did on Memorial Day weekend (before stuffing my face with grilled meat and chips).

We planted Maggie's tree on Saturday night.

Dave's parents were visiting from Minnesota this weekend so they helped us figure out the best place to put it.  It was so nice to have them here.  We hadn't seen them since we went up there at Christmas.  They were able to sneak down here since they've gotten too much rain and they haven't been able to plant.  And we need rain so badly here.

Dave and his dad didn't even plan to have matching outfits!






*****************************************
After planting the tree, we went out to Maggie's grave so she could meet her other set of grandparents. Dave's parents have 4 grandsons, but Maggie would have been their first granddaughter. I was so excited to have the first girl. Unfortunately, I wish this wasn't how they would meet their first granddaughter.

When we went out, Maggie's friend was out there again.

Have I told you about the guard that Maggie has out there? That there is a friend who is protecting her?

Every time that I have gone out to the pasture, there is a red-tailed hawk that is flying around over the grove where Maggie is buried.  And she isn't just flying around, she is circling and screeching.  Loudly. Over and over and over.

That is not dust on your screen, that is Maggie's friend, the red-tailed hawk.

And she's flying and talking every single time I go out there.  There hasn't been a time that I haven't heard my little hawk friend screeching.

In fact, the first time we went out there after Maggie's memorial service Dave and I both commented on the hawk and he said, "If we were Indians, we'd be pumped."

I didn't think too much of it.

However, when I returned the next time, hawk was there.

Waiting for my call to work for National Geographic.  This is a money shot. 

And she was there the next time.

And I have thought of Dave's comment every time.

And I now believe that she is out there, protecting Maggie and keeping her safe and giving her some companionship.

And, it makes me feel good. And I am pumped every time I see her out there.

(Please don't show my students this post. I have told them all year not to start any sentence with "and."  And I just broke rule 6 times in a row.  And I don't care.  Now seven.)
*****************************************

I started a new to-do list for summer.

I had one made to get done before July.  But, there were a lot of things on there that are no longer applicable.

Like making a valance for the nursery.

And buying a crib for the nursery.

And staring at and snuggling with my brand-new daughter.

I kept my old list, just in case I can use it again sometime.

I also didn't add everything to my new list since some things are just assumed that I will do.

Like sleep in and sit on the back deck and hit up Sonic for some Happy Hour beverages.

Oh, and mow the lawn on the riding mower (just waiting the offer.  Anyone?  Anyone?  Buhler? Buhler?).  

Those things are just a given, right?
*****************************************
I got these in the mail on Saturday.

I was a bit amused by the timing of both of these things.

First, a letter telling me about grief and bereavement support groups that are available.

 And then, a bill for Maggie's delivery.

All I can say is THANK THE GOOD LORD for insurance.  Really good insurance.

*****************************************
Happy Summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...