Sunday, July 31, 2011

NILMDTS

I've gotten a lot of recommendations of what I should read over the past few months.

Some are good.

Some are absolutely hilarious.
I wouldn't want to read them with my mom and dad, but they are hilarious.

Some are not so hot.

And others, like this one, say things so well.

~~~~~~~~~~

This woman is a photographer.  She photographs families with their babies who are near death or have already died.

Sidenote:
I'm not sure if she works for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep, a group of volunteers who take pictures for families of their babies.  (Go to http://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/ to read more).




Over 3.3 million babies are stillborn every year.  Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep helps families grieve and heal.  If you want to read some stories of families who have worked with NILMDTS, go here.  Just to warn you, there are pictures of babies, at all ages, shown.

She had the opportunity to sing at a Children's Memorial Service at the hospital.  The following are her thoughts:

I felt mad at all of the families who give birth to healthy children every day and have no idea how blessed they are for that gift.  Some are- some know how truly miraculous and wonderful a healthy baby is- but some are not.  I wanted everyone to be able to experience what I experienced in that room; to know that health is never something taken for granted; that children are a gift no matter their life time, short or long. Every one of those parents would've given everything they had to have their child back for even a minute.
And I thought to myself, if anyone in the world has a reason to be angry, these people deserve to be.  Yet they are not.  They are here, hugging each other, remembering and sharing about their children who have passed.  It's not fair; it's not right; it's not anyone's fault; it's awful; it's sad; it's life and, in great juxtaposition, death. 
She is right.  It's not anyone's fault and it's awful and sad and not right.  But, it's part of life.

And, in all of the pain and sadness and loneliness, there are 3.3 million other women and families who know my sadness and loneliness.  And they have survived.  And they have found comfort in each other.

As have I.

Thank you to those of you who have courageously shared your stories.
For not keeping your stories a secret.
For knowing how miraculous a healthy child is.

(Go here to read the whole thing.)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. She IS right. A healthy child is such a gift. Losing Isaac has taught me to not take life/health/happiness for granted ever again. We WILL survive this.

    Hope you enjoy your last few weeks of summer.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...